Thursday 20 November 2014

Background papers

Hi everyone, Yvonne here with another Exchange Day Project.
One of the many things I enjoy making are my own background papers.
They can be really quick and easy to make or more complex depending on how many techniques you add.
The papers that I am showing you today were the quick and easy variety, because I need to get some Christmas cards made and time is flying by!
To begin with you need some pieces of plain card, I used white.

Background 1

Stage 1
Choose a couple of paints that will blend together and cover as much of the surface area  as you wish.
I chose Paper Artsy Fresco Finish , Sky and Snowflake.
A dried out baby wipe or kitchen roll helps the blending. Don't worry at this stage if you have bare patches
I usually make a batch of backgrounds at the same time, and then no two ever quite look the same when I use them.


Stage 2
This is a fun messy stage. Place a little of your lighter paint on your craft mat, scrunch up a piece of bubble wrap, dip it in the paint, then onto your base card, until you are happy with the result.



Stage 3
Next add some random stamping. I left this piece as it was. 

Now for a variation, adding more depth


Taking a card  prepared  as above, the paints on this piece were lighter, I used some mesh as a stencil rubbing it  lightly over with  Tim Holtz  Distress Ink Black Soot


A snowflake stamp embossed with fine  glitter powder added  a little texture.

Background No 2



  Spray card with some Dylusions Spray Ink Calypso Teal, before it dries completely , pat over with  the bubble wrap  used for the first background. It would still have some  of  the lighter acrylic paint on the surface, a light spray of water refreshes the colour.


Random stamping  as before

Background  No 3


Again sprayed with Dylusions Spray Ink and random stamped


Next  I added  a Tim Holtz Festive Stencil using  clear texture paste,
this took up the colour of the spray ink I used.

Now I have a good pile of papers ready to make my Christmas cards,
Here are some examples of how they look
The Snowman stamp  is from  a Stampers Anonymous. Tim Holtz  set,  Christmas Blue Print.





I have highlighted the products used that are available from the Artist Trading Post.
The 'on-line' and  'Bricks and Mortar' shops are like Aladin's  caves for us crafters!

Don't forget there is still another week for you to enter the current challenge which is Stencil  Mania.

We would love you to join us.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas for the backgrounds-very inspiring

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Thank you for the tutorial! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful backgrounds Yvonne and your finished cards look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing how you made these Yvonne, they are all wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your backgrounds are beautiful and so are the finished cards. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic tutorial Yvonne, definitely a kick start for me to get my Christmas cards made! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous step by step Yvonne, with fabulous results.........love it......very inspirational
    TFS and hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those backgrounds are so effective Yvonne...the results are wonderful. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutley wonderful Yvonne! I love how the finished pieces look. The layers and depth you have created are right up my street. An inspirational tutorial.
    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning cards, fab techniques....thanks for the inspiration!! Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great techniques Yvonne, I have some unused fresco paints now I know what I want to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous layered backgrounds... so much inspiration in this post, thank you.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete